Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Tickets are purchased!

I called EF with some questions about my trip the day before the full bill was due. I mentioned that I would be coming back for my cousin's wedding without much time to spare, and they pointed out that while I'd be leaving a day early, I'd still be arriving on the day of the wedding. No good. I could leave Delphi the moment I arrived, catch a cab and drive to the airport in Athens, but I'd be missing out on almost all of Greece. Since I just finished a Greek art history class last term, this was also a no-go.

But! It turns out I could switch my trip to one held earlier in the month at no charge. This would put me in Amsterdam on July 1st and finishing the tour around the 18th or 19th. From there, I could travel to Nice at my leisure and leave on the 28th, which gets me back home with a few days to spare before the wedding. Perfect.

Another nice side effect - since I'd be arranging my own flights, I was able to switch my EF tour to Land-Only. This took $14xx off the bill, which was their price for plane tickets. I was able to get tickets with an employee discount for $9xx, but decided I'd rather have a layover in LA to see my brother and his wife. This bumped the price up $150, which I figured is cheaper than buying a round-trip ticket to LA normally (turns out, not by much). The overall cost of air travel went down about $19x, which makes my Eurail pass that much cheaper! I also get to see my brother & wife, a day in London, and an extra day in Amsterdam. It's win-win, really.

So, the tickets have been purchased! Travel plans are as follows:
  1. (June 28th) Portland -> L.A.
  2. L.A. -> London
  3. London -> Amsterdam
  4. Amsterdam -> Paris
  5. Paris -> Versailles
  6. Versailles -> Florence
  7. Florence -> Pisa
  8. Pisa -> Assisi
  9. Assisi -> Rome
  10. Rome -> Sorrento
  11. Sorrento -> Pompeii
  12. Pompeii -> Delphi
  13. Delphi -> Athens
  14. Athens -> Anywhere! Barcelona?
  15. Anywhere -> Nice
  16. Nice -> London
  17. London -> Fort Worth
  18. (July 28th) Fort Worth -> Portland
All of this in a month. Whew!

1 comment:

  1. Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.

    Flights to Singapore

    ReplyDelete