Monday, March 30, 2009

Budget

So that brings us to the budget. Using Numbers, which I'm a huge fan of, I started with the money I have now and tried subtracting all the expenses I knew would be coming between now and then. My Pre-Europe list includes:
  • Spending cash
  • Rent & utilities
  • Cell phone
  • Car
There's also my expenses before I leave. I had a lot of fun doing a podcast of my trip to Hawaii a few years ago, and would love to do that again. I'll go into more detail in a future post, but this will require an additional expense. My For-Europe includes:
  • EF Bill
  • Extend trip ($100)
  • Passport ($110)
  • Flip mino HD ($210)
  • Still camera ($400)
  • 16GB Memory card ($35)
  • Netbook ($99)
  • 1TB External HD ($130)
So obviously there's a little leeway in this list. I'd expected to be able to afford all these things, but hit a snag on the next list. Mom mentioned I should get a Eurail pass, as it would be the cheapest way to get around Europe. Cheap is good! However, I had a little sticker shock when I saw a 4-country pass would be €235 (roughly $312!)

So this will be tough, as I was already at the wire and still haven't accounted for lodging. Mom had mentioned youth hostels as being a cheap way to lodge, so I did some searching. I printed out this handy PDF from backpackingeurope.com which lists hostels in (all?) countries in western Europe alongside contact and price info. I'm hoping to stay anywhere from 2-4 weeks after my EF tour ends on July 31st, but as the cheaper hostels tend to run around €13/night ($17.25), this will cost between €182 and €364 ($241.50 - $483.00)! Sounds like it's time to get serious about CouchSurfing.

No comments:

Post a Comment